[RC] Horrible accident - Why? - Karen Everhart

I just have to chime in here...........

As a NATRC competitor, we all must tie stationary, to trailers or high
ties. In all my years of competing we have NEVER had any of the
accidents that have been posted regularly regarding portable corrals - particularly electric ones.
On rare occasion, a horse gets loose, but never runs through its fencing then
turns into the Tasmanian Devil trying to free itself from the attached
tentacles of electric tape, etc. At worse, there is a lead rope
attached to the halter. On only ONE occasion did a horse freak and get
a leg under the trailer, requiring it to have its halter cut loose. The
leg was abraded, not lacerated.

Yes, competitors who tie to trailers probably lose more sleep with a
restless horse, or one who rubs against the trailer but so what?  Who
gets really good rest in anticipation of a competition anyway?  :-0

Why, oh why, does the thought of tying to a stationary object create
such horrid reactions when common sense - understanding equid behavior -
tells us that the risk of a horse running through a fence increases
exponentially with the size of the pen, the number of pen mates AND the
excitement of the environment??????

I do not want to start a firestorm, but this subject makes me crazy.
The horses that were killed or injured are the victims. If
it were children who were similarly placed at risk, the parents would be
charged with child endangerment. Yet, we absolve individuals when it is an
animal which suffers. WHY? Should/could Ride Management step in and
require safe and secure horsekeeping of all competing/participating/attending
horses at all events. And, should Ride Management have the discretion
to determine what "safe" is?

Okay - ready for the assault!!!!

Karen Everhart MEd. President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc. email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082