[RC] My really short NC ride. - spiritwood@xxxxxxxxx

My really short NC ride.

   I am the "other" rider who was de-horsed in the "Irving Incident".  I
was riding in the middle of the pack and
doing a medium trot.  I was about 3/4 of the way up Hickory Lane, riding
along and enjoying all the stars and
the glow sticks.   Suddenly I heard a lot of yelling from behind me and
then lots of galloping horses, remember
it was PITCH DARK at the time.

  A gray riderless horse went blasting by me on the left side, I turned my
horse to the right to tell him he was
not going with the other horse, when I was T-boned by another gray horse
with a rider on board who was
yelling something about stopping.  My horse was knocked off his feet and I
went flying off.

  It all happened so fast but it was so dark that I only say flashes of
light.  I hit the ground and rolled up into a
yard because I still heard yelling and galloping horses and I had no light
on me, the glow sticks were all on my
horse.  I was terrified on being trampled by horses I couldn't see.

  I got up and then started walking up the road.  I remember asking people
that were still going by to please
look for my horse and to tie him to something if they found him.  I
described him as having 3 green glowsticks
on him and rope reins.  People were very nice and said they'd watch for
him.

  At the last house before the turn a lady came out and yelled at me for
"waking her up in the middle of the
night and she had never heard of such maddness".  I apologized and asked
her if she had seen my horse.  She
went back in from her porch and slammed the door.

  I ended up walking about a mile and a 1/2 before hearing my horse answer
me.  I found 2 horses tied up by a
wooden gate and one was mine and the other was Irving's horse.  Someone had
untacked both horses and the
tack was in a pile beside each horse.  I went over my horse with my hands
and found cuts and scrapes and
skinned areas but nothing really awful.  The other horse had blood all down
his right hind leg but that was all I
could tell in the dark.

  I retacked my horse and walked him to see if he was OK.  He seemed OK
and willing to go.  Then Zoe came by
in her truck with her radio.  In the headlights Irvings horse looked pretty
bad and Zoe called for a trailer to pick
him up, but since mine seemed OK I told her I was going to try riding on to
the gate and go at Edinburgh Gap.

  We trotted off up the road and my horse seemed a bit subdued but it was
really hard to tell much else.  Since I
could only see his head from the glow of the glowsticks on his breast
collar I couldn't tell if he was bobbing it at
all.  He was perfectly willing to trot along up the trail, slowing down to
walk all those nasty cement bridges that
seemed to  multiply.

  Just the first pink touches along the skyline when we came in to the
Gate and Go.  I already knew something
was NDR with my horse so it was no surprise when the vet (I think it was
Melissa Ribley) told me he "seems
uncomfortable".  He was sore on his right front and right rear so we loaded
him up for his ride back to the
treatment barn.

  There that wonderful Dr. Lynn found him to have some significant
bruising on his right side.  Probably a
combination of the body slam he took, then the fact that he had obviously
gone down when he turned on the
asphalt road.  Lynn had a time cleaning up his multiple abrasians,
contusions, and skinned areas.  He had
smashed the right stirrup and part of the cage had broken and gouged him in
the flank area, I even have road
rash on my saddle!  He had bruised his right knee, and his right hip, hock,
and hoof, and the breast collar strap
that goes between his legs had gouged his armpit area when the saddle
turned, and there is still tar on him that
won't come off.

  I ended up helping hold Irving"s horse while he was being treated, then
mine after.  This was sure not the NC
ride I had planned to ride.  My horse knows these trails and has previously
done both the Old Dominion 50 and
75, and he had done the OD training ride here at Ft. Valley just last
month.

  I don't know what made Irving fall off which apparently set up this
awful chain reaction of paniced horses in
the dark.  I guess I was just in the "wrong place at the wrong time"!  I
wish Irving a speedy recovery and a safe
trip home when he is able.

  I also want to give my great thanks to both Amy Cieri and John Crandall
who caught my horse and removed
his skewed tack.  I told them both in person at the ride how greatfu land
proud  I am that even "front runners"
can take the time to help another rider.  I also want to give great thanks
to all the OD staff who were so
wonderful and supportive at a bad time, especially Zoe Sollenberger, Bonnie
Snodgrass,  Betty DeMar
Mueller, and Teddy Lancaster.  I'm just sorry I was not able to go on and
try for Betty's wonderful turtle award!

Becky Supinger
AERC #20132
and Elektric,  who just happens to be  Heraldic's 1/2 brother.

http://mail2web.com/ .