From: Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Are the LD's feeding 50's?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:21:49 -0700

Here we go again. The emotionally charged, polarizing LD debate.

Why don't we narrow-minded, prejudiced, mostly West Region/PS Region members lobby AERC to add a new category of ride and call these rides Novice Rides. They would be for educational purposes only, no emphasis on performance or winning or placement. Experienced riders would be encouraged to provide help to these newbies and/or their horses. The most important consideration for these Novice Rides would be safety and we could even encourage Ride Managements to include a mini-clinic with a vet and an experienced Endurance and/or LD rider. The mileage accumulated at these Novice Rides could be tallied in with LD mileage but there wouldn't be any points given, just a completion award. Anyone interested in piling up points would graduate as quickly as they could to either LD or Endurance where the REAL recognition was.

With the new Novice Rides in place, the rules governing LD Rides could be loosened up. Gone would be the worry about policing LD Rides for speed. Since only experienced riders on properly conditioned horses would be doing LD, there wouldn't be any NEED to worry, at least not worry any more than we worry about the 50-milers. They could have placings, Top Ten and BC just like the Endurance Rides. No longer would their performance be compromised by those inexperienced riders or horses. No more arrogant, condescending sniping from the self-proclaimed "real Endurance riders" about how LD riders couldn't handle speed and they would just injure their horses because all the Novice Riders would be in their own ride leaving the LD field to just those well conditioned, experienced, ready-to-go athletes. Think of the new speed records that might be set... WITH the horses in superb condition at the end of the ride.

With three categories, and the freedom of RMs to decide which categories to offer, gone would be the cat fight about reporting results. LDs would be run under the same rules as Endurance. If the RMs didn't want to put on a short, fast race, they could opt out of LD. Or, if the RMs didn't have the time or resources or trail to do a longer ride, they could opt out of Endurance and just do an LD (LD and Endurance would be treated equally so LD would no longer HAVE to be run in conjunction with an Endurance Ride).

I think it would be good if the Novice Rides could only be sanctioned with either an LD or an Endurance Ride to assure that more experienced riders were available as role models and even briefly as mentors. Perhaps right after the Awards luncheon for the LD Ride, some of the top LD riders could hold a little Q&A session where the newbies could ask about problems they had encountered during their ride. The newbies could then hang around and watch the Endurance Ride's BC judging and learn what that was all about. It could be a wonderful, educational experience.