[RC] On behalf of Mary Coleman (Part Two) - Patty Stedman

Morgan Power at Nationals (Part Two)

At Picketts before the Sherman Gap climb I had my crew come out and tie a bag of feed in a tree so I stopped and fed him. Good thing too as my riding buddy Natalie and me picked up a junior to sponsor there. Sherman in the light plus the cool weather was almost pleasant well maybe pleasant ain't quite the right adjective!

Next to come was a Morgan rider?s worse nightmare a gate and go yet it actually went quite well. The three of us left together and came into Fitchetts and basically pulsed together. Our very quiet junior left us for another sponsor. This may have been good since I knew the dreaded Indian Graves was on the next loop and I may not be the nicest person to be around as I scramble up it hanging onto Hawks tail. A few years back Hawk and me did this climb 3 days in a row but not with 46 miles already behind us each day.  It was rough with a capital R.  I thought I was going to be in a grave before we made it to the top. Even worse Hawks fun-meter was very shaky coming back into Fitchetts. It took 14 minutes to pulse there; Natalie left me I was the last one out at the hold it was looking like doom and gloom.

Darkness came.  We caught up to a large group of riders and proceeded to go into Curtis again way too fast as Hawk was doing his Amish road buggy trot. I would put money on the fact Hawk was the only horse being sponged there.  We were once again the last ones out however I had caught back up to Natalie whom had agreed to wait so we could finish together.

Back up Edinburgh which took much longer in the dark, a 20 minute hold and then nine miles to the finish. Somewhere close to 3 a.m. we finished! What a great feeling when so many good horses and riders could not, the Mighty Morgan (at 18) kept on going!

There is so much pressure on Hawk and me when we compete in the valley since he has a huge fan club down there but we love it. I would like to thank each and every one of you for cheering us on -- it really helps. Much thanks to Old Dominion and all the volunteers for hosting the championships. Morgan Power!   --Mary