RE: [RC] My National Championship Qualifications - Steph Teeter

Angie - if the focus of the NC is a one day race, then I agree with you.

But I guess I'm starting to look at this whole 'AERC Championship' concept a
little differently. AERC is such a diverse group, and crowning an AERC
champion from one single event is never going to be meaningful to all of the
organization. We are so diverse, and so spread out geographically, that it's
unlikely that we would ever actually get the best/fastest horses around the
country together in one venue. We have the FEI 'racing' venues which already
do this (WEC's and PAC's et al.). The 2005 NC 100 (at Fort Howes) was also a
WEC demo/selection FEI ride , which accounts for much of the diverse
regional attendance at that venue.

So why not focus on the event instead of the winners? make it a big AERC
bash with plenty of divisions, plenty of participation, a national
celebration of the sport of Endurance riding? We already have lots of
National and Regional Champion year-end awards, the NC Weight Division award
is one more 'champion' category in a long list of others, so realistically
it's never going to be regarded as 'THE' championship venue. But, we could
focus on celebrating the entire sport (even throw in a 3-day LD
Championship!) and host a real 'Endurance Celebration Event' - clinics and
vendors and demos and such. Breeder's shows, lots of possibilities.

Steph