Re: [RC] [RC] Garmin 301/305 GPS/HR - April

The battery box Roger mentioned is a good idea. I don't use this
particular one, but I do have one similar in concept. I take extra
batteries to the vet checks if they're out, but just charge in my
truck at in-camp checks. I have a USB plug-in for my car and then just
plug my Forerunner 305 cradle into it. Works just fine. I did 2 long
50s (9 hour ride times) last week with my 305 and had no issues with
the battery. I did charge during one of the vet checks each day. Never
got to charging at the other vet check each day. I've also used the
305 for 5 other long 50s this season and never had a problem with the
battery by giving it a boost every little bit. If you have a crew to
remember to charge for you at least every couple of loops, you won't
have any trouble getting through a 100. We're actually really lucky
that our sport has holds where you can charge very easily. Some other
sports are harder to deal with the reduced battery life. This is one
thing that disappointed me about the 305, but I really haven't been
inconvenienced by it as much as I thought I would.

Now, the thing you might have to think about in a 100 is the memory. I
got about 95 miles worth of detailed data on my unit. This is also
something you have to think about with the 301, which is also a good
unit, but not as good satellite reception and doesn't have some of the
workout bells that the 305 has. For me, my hubby downloads the data to
his laptop every 2 or 3 loops, so I don't have to worry too much about
lost data, but if you don't have a laptop, you'll have to be a little
creative, but saving all the detail data can be done. The trackpoint
recording thing, though, is very dependent on the trail. The curvier
the trail, the less mileage can be stored because the unit is storing
more trackpoints to cover the entire trail. If you're going straight
for a long time, the unit won't record a trackpoint as often. Garmin
calls this "Smart" recording.

I have a 301 and a 305. I can tell you I have not used my 301 since I
got my 305. I love my 305. I like the much better reception without
having to mess with the external antenna. I used to do the same thing
as Roger with the external antenna on my helmet, but it's a pain (not
to mention more expense) and I don't have to do that at all with my
305. I suspect the 305 is better than the 301 with the external
antenna, anyway, but frankly, I don't want to mess with the external
antenna stuff anymore and so I don't care to do many tests. I really
should, I guess, but...

For those interested in this external antenna solution, here is where
I got my battery box. http://www.pc-mobile.net/gpsant.htm

I got the actual antenna from www.gpsgeek.com. But like I said, I
don't use this solution anymore because it's a pain.

As for Roger complaining about the size of the font, I like the 305
because it's much more configurable than the 301. If I want to see one
HUGE data field per screen, I can do that. I can have 1-4 fields per
screen. If I have 1, it's really big. If I have 2, they take up 1/2 of
the screen each. If I have 3 fields, the top field takes up the top
1/2 of the screen and the other 2 split the remaining half. And if I
have 4 fields, they each take 1/4 of the screen. Even at 1/4 screen, I
can see the data just fine. Now, if you have 3 or less screens, the
305 will show the heart rate (in addition to the 1,2, or 3 other
fields) as the teeniest, tiniest font you've ever seen!! That takes a
magnifying glass and perfect stillness to read! Maybe this is what
Roger was referring to?

You can see 3 different screens. These screens all can be configured
with 1-4 data fields and all the data fields can be configured to
whatever you want. You can have the watch stay on one screen and you
can switch between the screens by pressing a button. Or you can have
the screens cycle automatically for you.

For example, I have the following set up. All screens have 4 fields.

Screen 1:
Current Speed (upper left)
Total Time out (upper right)
Total Distance (lower left)
Current Heart Rate (lower right)

Screen 2:
Lap Speed
Current Lap Time
Lap Distance
Current Heart Rate

Screen 3:
GPS Accuracy (to be sure I still have a good satellite lock)
Time of Day (to be sure I make the cutoff!)
Lap Average Heart Rate
Current Heart Rate

I have these cycle for me automatically so I get to see everything in
turn. I have the heart rate on every screen, so no matter when I look
at the watch, I can see the heart rate.

April
Nashville, TN
http://www.tracetribute.com April 7, 2007