[RC] Newbie prepping for endurance - Spottedracer

My husband and I ride
QH's in rodeo events, primarily barrel racing and pole bending.

I also competed in barrels at the IPRA level prior to switching to endurance... The BEST thing I ever did, was to switch from riding a walk/canter 1-2 hours ride - to a solid trot (this is beofre my RA twisted my feet).. And I started riding a 'spanking trot' for 30 minutes straight, then and hour, then an hour-and-a-half.....etc... Even if you just do two long rides per week - you'll get in shape (so will your horse...)

1) Are there any good 'ground' exercises to build up your leg muscles
for lots of posting? I have a swimming pool I can workout in if that is
an option.
I felt 'the best' muscularly speaking... After spending a solid month swimming laps (about 60 minutes solid), doing LOTS of squats and situps... Did this right before my first multiday.. Felt better afterwards than I did on my first LD!!
2) I currently ride in cotton breeches with inside leg patches. Do you
recommend that I get padded knee patches or something extra?
I ride in loose cotton sweatpants, sometimes in 'form fitting' cotton sweats... If it's comfortable for you on long training rides - should be OK for long AERC rides...
3) Should I wear a layer of pantyhose (or something) under the breeches
to help with rubbing?
I didn't have good luck w/pantyhose.. But Walmart has these nice silky things that hold in the belly, similar to biking shorts (which my teammate has used with great success!)
4) I wear Ariat endurance boots and use a Cashel Tush Cush......any
other recommendations?
Make sure your footwear is as comfortable to walk/jog in - as to ride in... Never know when your horse will go lame/tie up - and you may have to walk a couple of miles....
5) certain areas dry?
Hmmm, I've used Gold Bond medicated powder with great success.... The Male riders actually gave me that advice **grin** (most seem to be married, so understand female things....)
- LP