[RC] Good Advice - Bruce Weary

This is OT, but I would like to share it with everyone here on RC. Our daughter, Elysse, was recently inducted into the National Honor Society, and we announced the good news to our extended family. My brother, Dana, sent the following letter of advice to Elysse along with his congratulations. Now, I love my brother, and I would have to say he is smarter than me, but that I am better looking. My mother says it doesn't matter, us kids get our looks and our brains from our Dad, because she still has hers!
Be that as it may, I felt that what he wrote was so perfect for a young person to read and absorb as she sits on the threshhold of adult life, and I think there are some great reminders in there for all of us "geezers," too. Pardon the length. Enjoy. Dr Q

Wow, way to go, Elysse! Your aunt Kelli and I are very proud of you, but that stands, no matter what field you choose.

Since I seem to be full of useless advice lately, you might as well be exposed to my thoughts on getting a college education. They are brief and nothing unique, but maybe of use to you, as you plan your life:

- Remember that a "liberal arts" education is supposed to be more than taking courses that qualify you for a career. It's supposed to be about becoming a better and more well rounded human being. It should include some science, some literature and philosophy, some history or anthropology, some foreign language, some art and/or music and some sports. Each of these experiences will help you to adopt or understand other viewpoints more easily and to develop the empathy and connection with others that will allow you to make a greater contribution with your life.

- It can easily include pottery and basketweaving, if that sounds like fun. It should not be entirely about work and getting perfect grades.

- It should include the opportunity to get to know your instructors one on one, to find out why they are passionate about what they do and to allow them to share it with you, outside of class.

- it should take place in a different environment, to allow you the freedom to be open to new ideas - this could be as close as across town, or as far away as Europe, but it should include a good number of students and faculty who come from a number of different backgrounds and locations.

- It should include the opportunity to live with other students who are exploring, just as you are.

- it must be located near good pizza.

- It should be far away enough from home that you won't run into your mom at the grocery store when you are dating the art major with the smelly dreadlocks. There will be time enough to introduce him later, if things get serious.

- It should be close to activities unrelated to college life - the outdoors, or the cultural opportunities of a bigger city, maybe a different climate.

- It should allow you to work part-time, so that you will not forget to relate to people who work for a living, plus it will help you feel good about the sacrifice you will make towards your own education. Your parents don't owe you anything, and the fact that they love you and want to help you get an education should never be taken for granted. Paying your own way in life always feels good, in the end.

- It should never be taken so seriously that you forget to wake up with a smile on your face almost every day (hey, nobody's perfect.) Your path in life is your own; you will undoubtedly receive all kinds of advice about what to do with it, (like this piece of geezer-emia) but the only serious mistake you can ever really make is in failing to participate. Life is not a supposed to be a spectator sport.

- It should include some painfully embarrassing mistakes. Expect them and allow people to forgive you, while you remember to forgive them. It's only a game, and it's best played without too much protection or you lose out on some of the "flavor".

- It should help you choose your path in life by feeding your passion. Use that as your crap detector; give new experiences some time, but if after a while it doesn't seem interesting enough to allow you to forget who you are and what time it is, it probably is not the direction you should take in life, regardless of how good it will make others feel about you, or how much money you will make. You will always have enough for a great life if you become the best at what you choose, and you can only be the best at it, if you have passion for it.

OK, that's probably more than I would have wanted to hear at your age, so I'll stop. If it's useful, great. If not, just know that giving advice is sometimes a part of reflecting on the value of one's own life, and I thank you for the opportunity to have reflected on mine. It's been a pretty good one, so far!

Love,

Uncle Dana