Re: [RC] eating at rides - Lynne Glazer

Aha! How much of this is about smooth-gaited horses? I ride the smoothies too and can eat almost anything, and must do something every two hours or so. The only thing I can't do is COFFEE. The diuretic effect is somehow magnified in the cold weather of a dawn start, yikes. Caffeine yes, coffee no.

Love Tiger's Milk bars, they hold up well in the pack and at Costco are tres cheap. Ready for a real lunch at the mid-ride hold, whatever can be held with one hand, the other for a can of diet DP or Dew. Love hard boiled eggs, pb&j tastes better at rides than at home. Dates, what a good idea for rides, I love dates, yep dryer ones. I pack a baggie of Costco's trail mix in the cantle bag routinely. Mornings are the toughest of all, choking anything down that early in the ayem, eating nothing is never an option. Bagel, or oatmeal and a banana. Maybe I'll try someone's suggestion of a sandwich for breakfast, made the night before since half the struggle is making something when you're not in the mood. I've made scrambled eggs with salmon in the morning, that went down well, too, did that on a day where we got off trail onto the next day's route, and the only other thing I had for about 35 miles and 12+ hrs was two Tiger's Milk bars.

Lynne