[RC] Hi-Ties...and Epics...Pete Ramey book - Lysane Cree

On the Epics:

Thank you everyone for the helpful ideas. I'll try the boots again and see what happens. Although I didn't ride for that long, it definitely was not a rub but a ribbed imprint of the heel strap. Vetwrapping the foot is also a good idea. My last option I think will be to cut the heelstrap - I worry about taking something off that I won't be able to put back on. :) I was having lots of difficulty putting the boots on the hind hooves (even withthe rubber hammer), so I took the little rubber covers off - that made more room for putting the boot on, but when it came time to take it off, the teeth dug into my horse's hooves (despite me having flattened them down) and made the boots really difficult to take off. So those little rubber covers will be going back on. :)  The boot might be tight enough to remove the heelstrap and still have it stay on the hoof well. I guess its a matter of trying different things and seeing what works.

/I've been cutting the heelstrap off of my boots.  That works well for
/me I think because the horses feet fill the boots so well.  If the
/boot is a little large on the foot then you might want to keep the
/heelstrap there.  You may try using vetwrap, or an old sock during
/the winter to add a little protection to the heelbulbs.  I've never
/used the studs, so can't help you with that.Karen
/On Epics:
/The imprint from the heel strap is most likely just that. You mentioned
/that you live in a wet area. When you sleep with your face on your arm,
/isn't it wrinkled in that spot for awhile afterward? The heel bulbs become tough
/and  calloused after awhile of barefoot living, but when they are wet
/constantly, they are still impressionable. If the boots are the correct size, the
/heel straps fit snugly, but they have "give," so they should not be causing
/harm. I ride in So. Cal., which is pretty dry most of the time, but during
/wet times and much water crossings, I have noticed the ribbed look on the
/heel bulbs. Nothing has ever happened from it, and they disappeared shortly.
/onitor the feet, but try not to be paranoid. Terry

On Easyboot Studs:

One person was asking about traction with the studs - I have found that the boot studs do provide traction in the snow and on ice. Like anything they are not one hundred percent fool proof, I think they might still be kind of slippery on those really slick large sheets of hard smooth ice we get around here, but they do provide good traction, as much as any other shoe stud. I haven't tried them on grass or mud though - my main purpose was for the winter months. The mud we get around here is usually kind of deep, so the studs wouldn't help. The horses have to slog their way through it and it is usually at mid-cannon bone. I'm guessing they probably would work well on less deep, but slicker, mud.

On Hi-Ties:

I've decided to add the loops to my trailer because they will always be handy to have regardless of a hi-tie or not. My horse is the type to test new things out, so the suggestion for a cotton rope is excellent, as well as tying shorter (especially at the beginning) - both for tying to the trailer and tying to the hi-tie.

/If your horse is a "Dennis the Menace" type, you would want to
/follow the advice others have mentioned: Tie shorter, Use cotton rope
/and don't leave unattended for too long. Most horses do very well with the
/Hi-Ties,and they are much easier for one person to set up camp. A metal
/loop would also be good to have on the trailer for shorter day trips

Pete Ramey book:

I ordered my copy from Chaptersindigo.ca. It is probably also available through Amazon books. In addition, I know it is available for sale if you go to Pete Ramey's website, through Star Ridge publishing. You might want to do a search with his name, but off the top of my head, I think his website is hoofrehab.com

Lysane