[RC] [RC] Hi-Ties...also Epics - Dream Weaver

I am considering installing one on my trailer. I have a Sundowner and the sides are all smooth, with no place anywhere on the outside to tie. I am debating getting just loops installed onto the sides or getting the high-tie. I think I may just get the loops and when I have more cash get the hi-tie. But I was looking through the archives, but did not see anything about whether anyone has encountered problems with a horse rearing and getting his foot over the rope....is this ever an issue? My horse is good to tie, but young and still very new to travelling, so she can get pretty hyped about being in a new place.

Hi Lysane -- I don't think a horse has been designed yet that can't find a way to get into trouble when confined ;). They are pretty smart though, and usually learn how to handle being tied or corralled. My horses are all experts on their hi-ties, they can run circles (literally), rear, buck, lie down and sleep, roll, all without getting tangled or caught in their ropes. That isn't to say that they haven't, so far out of four horses I have had two get caught in their rope, and two that haven't ever (knocking on wood). I think that sometimes they have to learn what not to do, by actually doing it. Usually when a horse does get caught in a rope, they fall down with a big thud and wait to be rescued, especially if they've been hobble trained. I like to tie with cotton ropes which cause less of a rope burn than some other materials. Some horses also need to be tied shorter than others. I like to have more than one way to release the horse. Look at these two lazy bums ;^) http://aerc.org/Photo_Gallery/COLORCOUNTRY2005/P1010062.JPG or http://image24.webshots.com/25/2/99/84/95329984ozmJWj_fs.jpg Just be sure to practice letting your horse spend a few nights on the tie at home, a much safer environment to learn that than at a ridecamp.

I also had a question about Epics - I asked but did not get any replies. Karen? Terre?
Last week when I rode with Epics all around, I noticed that the hind boots left an imprint of the heel strap on the back of my horse's hoof and heel bulb. We have been having wet, snowy conditions, so maybe her feet are softer than usual, but this was the first time I use the boots on the hinds, so I'm not sure.

I've been cutting the heelstrap off of my boots. That works well for me I think because the horses feet fill the boots so well. If the boot is a little large on the foot then you might want to keep the heelstrap there. You may try using vetwrap, or an old sock during the winter to add a little protection to the heelbulbs. I've never used the studs, so can't help you with that.

Karen