[RC] WC Freiheit - reply to Don - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: wendy lumbert wendy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Probably should not jump in here but this post is irritating and
arrogant beyond belief as well as being very disrespectful to
some outstanding endurance riders.
Here are some facts that you didn't consider when writing this.
1. If you will look up statistics on East Coast races you will see that in many
cases it is no big deal to top ten a 100 or
even lesser distances, some of these races have 8-12 entries at
that distance. Just finishing will get you a top 10.

2. "The actual record shows that Fred had never been pulled during his first 3
years in the book with 12 rides."
Not a big deal is it? 4 rides a year? Lots of horses do 3-5 fifties a week.
See: Pony Express.

3. "Mack gave Fred a warm up by blasting the Biltmore 100miler in 11 hours and
Top Ten. On June 10,1995 Fred won the OD 100miler in 16 hours. Then 9 weeks
later after a 3000 mile trailer ride and also pre-riding the entire 100 miles
of Tevis (minus the river crossing) on Aug 12,1995 Fred won the Tevis 100miler
in 14 hours....... Do you think he (buyer) knew what Mack had been doing to
keep Fred sound?"
Hmmm, good question. I've always wondered myself how sound Fred was a week
after Tevis. 10k was cheap for a horse with his record, wasn't it? None of my
business tho.

4. "Hal Hall took Fred to a race 4 weeks after Tevis and put the finishing
touches on the now exhausted champ that broke him down bad enough to where Fred
was out of commission for 3 years. Obviously Hal acted as if the horse was fine
because after all Fred had never been pulled so why the hell should he rest?"
You don't know much about Hal, do you? His skills and concern for his horses
are obvious, look at his record. His horses last.

5." because the record shows that Fred always got 7-8 months off between
campaigns to heal up. Good protocol to keep a champion in good form"....
Or perhaps Fred had injuries? Are you saying that 4 rides a year is a
"campaign" ?

" but after this magnificent final campaign Fred never got that special
treatment he so desperately needed. Giving Fred 7-8 months off right after
Tevis would have been the best and it was a previously proven protocol"

Ah Tom, how much I miss you!! Newbies, put your hands over your
eyes!   What a horrible training regime - get your horse fit, race a few times,
then "rest" him 7 months just to start all over again. (UNLESS the horse had
injuries). Don, we don't know each other and I have no idea what axe you're
grinding here, but do your horses a favor and go do some research on
conditioning. There are plenty of studies on how to condition, peak and rest
the horse. Most of the 200 or so studies I've read prove conclusively that the
horse benefits most from DAILY exercise. Inconvenient, but true. And NONE
recommend 7 months off to recoup from normal fatigue.

Like I said, hate to get involved, but you are maligning a great guy, Hal, and
putting dangerous info out there that newbies just might think is gospel.
wendy lumbert