[RC] horses age by teeth - Kathy Kelly

For over a year now, every vet who has looked at Gabriel's teeth has said that he looks to be about 5 yrs older than his papers show (his papers show that he is 16 today).

I have contacted his breeder, who says his papers are correct.

I had him floated last week, and asked the vet a lot about his teeth.  She said that at around 20 yrs, the front incisors (where they meet at the gums) form more of an invented "v" shape.  I am under the impression that this is a pretty predictable and noticeable change at around 20 yrs.  He doesn't have abnormally short teeth from wear or anything.

Can anyone who knows about telling a horses age by his teeth comment on my situation?  Can teeth "lie" about a horses age?

Gabriel is in great health and completed many miles last year.  Except for the teeth issue, I wouldn't think he was older than 16.  I wouldn't trade him for anything, regardless of his age, but I also want to make sure I'm not asking too much of him if he is older than the records show.

Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ

Kathy Kelly
EarthLink Revolves Around You.