[RC] help for a sick dog - Heidi Vanderbilt

Could the vets out there offer some insight and advice?

My neighbor's dog, Bailey, was diagnosed today with erlichia--tick borne illness. He became lethargic Friday, lost his appetite, vomited yellow water, and had, his person Lynn said, "a guilty look". She took him to the vet this morning thinking he had an upset stomach, but received instead a devastating diagnosis of kidney damage. This morning his blood work looked very bad--i don't know the details-- but later today the vet said his kidneys looked "swollen and bruised, but not damaged".

We live in SE AZ--very very dry, very few ticks, although we do have occasional cattle ticks. Bailey was a pound pup before Lynn adopted him 3 years ago, but since then has had nothing at all wrong with him. He's been joyous, vivacious, athletic, and adorable.

Oddly, another neighbor who just moved here from Minnesota, has a dog who was also just diagnosed with the same thing. Different vet, different history and household. Probably just a coincidence, but i thought i'd mention it. There are only 4 families who live down this remote dirt road, so the coincidence seems extraordinary.

Bailey was put on a regime of doxycycline. Unfortunately, the pharmacist at the local hospital is home sick, so there are no drugs being dispensed for human or dog. Until someone can get to Tucson tomorrow--or the pharmacist recovers--Bailey is on a substitute antibiotic. i don't know which one.

Could the vets please tell us more about this disease--anything would help. What is the likelihood that two dogs way out here would get sick at nearly the same time with this? Is there a preferred treatment, or something more we should do for our wonderful little friend?

thank you in advance.

heidi v

luckypupranch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if you'd rather reply directly