Re: [RC] NAIS_ I'm not confused about 2 programs - Jackie Causgrove

No, I'm not confused about the two programs.  The NAIS is in effect in Tennon a volunteer basis.  The info I have came from a press release from the Tenn Dept of Ag.  At present there are approximately 6 other states going to adopt the NAIS on a volunteer basis and each state will have the ability to mandate what they with to be included.  Thus, by 2009 (the date for the NAIS to be in full swing and mandatory), if you plan on traveling with your horse through differing states, you will need to knwo the requirements of each state.

In the same press release, also addressed how prof haulers were going to need to proceed.

Jackie

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jackie I think you are getting two programs mixed up. The NAIS program is being proposed to take effect in X. The SE equine passport program is on going. It has been ongoing between FL/GA/AL for almost about 20 years. It used to be called an equine event permit. You don't have to report to anyone when you move your horse. No transport requirements have changed. This is one of the greatest things to happen in the SE for endurance riders. One health certificate covers half a year. The only place I will need to get an extra health certificate for this coming year is Kentucky.

There may be some planning to integrate this program into the NAIS and I'm not sure if that will be good or bad. I'm willing to wait for the implementation details to be developed.

Truman

Jackie Causgrove wrote:
The difference is that with NAIS requirements everytime you move your horse off the ID premises who MUST report it, as it is considered an "animal event".
Written specifically in to the language are "trail horses and show horses" )source NAIS website Q & A link.

Further, each state will have the option of having thier own requirements.  So, in order to travel with your horse, as now proposed, you will need to know the requirements of any state you travel through.( source: Tenn Press Release Dept of AG).

Jackie

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Folks this is one of the best things to happen in years for horse
owners. It is an extension of a program that has been in place in FL, GA
and AL for years. It means you get your health certificate, send a copy
along with a copy of your Coggins to the dept of Ag in your home state.
They will then issue you the passport for that horse. In FL the only
extra you nees is a three digital photos of your horse, both sides and
front showing markings. These photos become part of the passport. This
passport in fact becomes a six month health certificate. It also serves
as a positive ID for your horse. You are now free to travel with that
horse to any of the states that honor it for six months without the need
for a health certificate.

It is not a new requirement. You have always had to have a health
certificate to travel interstate with horses. This passport is good news
not bad news.

Truman

--

?It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless
they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.? Voltaire