[RC] Last minute advice for a first 50 attempt this weekend - Patti Pankiewicz-Fuchs

The operative word here being "attempt". We did two LDs last year, and one last month with a ride time of 4 hours, alls As at the finish. So a few who are-in-the-know, have told me it's time to go ahead and jump in if my goal is to do slow 50s as opposed to winning LDs (which it most certainly is).

 I've been dreaming of completing a 50 since I first started finding out about the sport 5 years ago. Did three LDs with my TWH cross mare, but realized she just wasn't cut out for the sport (she never saw the point in trotting and gaiting for *that* long a period of time and I wasn't going to make her do something she clearly didn't enjoy)...now she's my go-to gal for friends and when I just want to go out and have some gaitin'-fun. Then 3 years ago last October I bought a quivering, barely halter broke, lump of horse flesh. (She's a non-registered Arab) I'm so very proud to say that today she is (most of the time anyways, she is afterall a horse) a very confident, respectful equine citizen who just loves to eat up the trail.

Of course, I feel as if we haven't trained quite enough, though I know this is a common sentiment. Therefore, we plan to take it just one loop at a time. Shooting to stay in our little 6.5-7.5 MPH jog as much as possible, but taking breaks when needed. (She hasn't needed walking breaks at all during the last two LDs) And I'm sure a wee bit of extended trot and lope here and there just to loosen up.

So any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated. Though I do have one last burning question.....I have been forced due to finances to ride her for far too long in an Abetta that just doesn't fit her; two dry spots, white hairs and all. Though, she has NEVER shown any soreness from it....yet. A few weeks ago my wonderful friend *gave* me a Big Horn. It appears to fit her MUCH better in the sense that the sweat pattern is much more even and to be honest she almost "feels" freer in her movement. However we have only used it for a few "real" training rides. I have also noticed that to sit in it *I* am WAAAAY more comfortable than in the Abetta, but afterwards I feel kinda sore in my hip when I move a certain way. So short story long, my questions is this: Do I ride in the newer saddle the whole time, or do you think I might want to switch them up a little? I'm thinking of just going with the Big Horn the whole time, though I am wondering what 50 miles in this saddle is going to do to my hip area.....but of course if one of us has to be uncomfortable it'd better be me, as she didn't ask to do this....though I think, I hope she enjoys it.

So any last pearls of wisdom, throw'em at me. Otherwise we'll see you guys out on the trails at the Piney Pig....and God-willing with a completion at the end of the day.

Patti & Sera "Wait. What? We're going *how* far this time?"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=