Re: [RC] Check out National Animal Identification System - Sisu West Ranch

The alarmist reaction to proposals for animal identification shows that there is a lot of fuzzy thinking. Lets look at some of the fears posted recently:

1. This is the first step towards chipping everyone which will be the "mark of the beast". There are constitutional issues with human ID's. Last time I checked we still had the Supreme Court in our country. No matter what unconstitutional proposal is made, eventually it will get to this august body. Our system has survived since 1789 and it works. We are not in a dictatorship. If we were this discussion would not take place.

2. We will have to wait in long lines etc. whenever we take our horses etc. This is absurd. Where would a government get the money to hire enough people to check every horse or trailer or car? It would have to get the money from taxes, the taxes would have to be raised by elected legislatures. It ain't gonna happen. Now if you are talking about endurance rides and horse shows that is a different matter. You already have to wait in line to pay your money, get your number, and have your horse vetted in. Scanning the horse would take perhaps 10 seconds. Much less time than to actually look at coggins papers and ID the horse visually.
Right now horses are supposed to have interstate health papers, but most states do not even insist that each horse trailer (or even out of state horse trailer) stop at each truck weigh station. They should (it would possibly have stopped the VS outbreak last summer). Even if stopped most persons inspecting the horses would not have the skills to actually figure out if the Sorel QH in the trailer was a mare, gelding, or stallion let alone a particular horse as listed in the papers.

A couple of years ago, there was a thread about how the integrity of the AERC competition was being undermined by the entering of "ringer" horses. If my memory serves, many of the alarmists who now think that positive horse ID is a threat to our American Way of Life, were calling for the AERC to implement a positive ID mechanism for endurance horses. You can't have it both ways.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875