[RC] Mandates and the lack thereof - Joe Long

Well, it didn't take long for someone to point out that I was not ELECTED to the AERC Board. All it took was for me to express my opinion on a subject where I am clearly in the minority on the Board.

So, let's get it out. I ran for Director in a three-way race in the Mountain Region, and lost. I am only on the Board because one of those who was elected resigned. I know this.

I seriously considered running for Director at Large this year for this very reason, and I had some correspondence with Jan about it. In the end I decided that I needed to fulfill my obligation to the Region by completing my term.

For the remainder of that term, I intend to do the very best job I can representing the members of the Mountain Region. I will try to do what they want me to do, as best I can determine what they want -- consistent with what I believe, from my own experience, to be in the best interest of the Mountain Region and the AERC. We don't poll the members very often, and most of the issues we deal with on the Board haven't had a recent poll question to go by. Directors MUST use their experience and best judgement in addressing the issues we deal with.

To the members of the Mountain Region: my email address is jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, my phone number is 720-733-1157 and if you call long distance I'll call you back. My snailmail address is 11 W Wolfensberger Road, Castle Rock, CO 80109. I will talk to any member any time, about any subject. I will do nothing in secret or behind anyone's back. And if you don't like the job I do, I will heartily congratulate my replacement 12 months hence.