[RC] Saddle Twist Story (long - for hip arthritics) - Gloria Adams

Hi All,

Read with interest about saddle twist (as I do all things about it). 4 years ago I became symptomatic with SEVERE hip arthritis that now has only worsened, causing me to sometimes walk with a cane. It also caused me to sell a great mare who needed a rider who could now do more with her than I could in my handicapped state, Bruce Weary’s great foxtrotter mare, Sugar.

While it may be true that narrow twist fit a man better, I just wanted to say that if you have a pathologic hip (mines from osteoarthritis), a narrow twist might help save your riding career a little (but no where near completely, if its severe like mine: ie: walking with a cane, unable to walk 3 blocks without pain, wakes you up at night, can’t sleep on that hip, pain only 50% relieved by 1200mg Motrin/day).

I have now only been able to ride in narrow twist saddles for 4 years. The problem with that can be (word of warning), a narrow twist will sit the rider higher above the withers. This is no big deal with a horse that has withers.

But if you are riding a mutton withered horse (as I am now – just got him), you will have a big problem, as the saddle will be perched too high on that type of horse, & will be unstable (rolls side to side).

I even have a custom Sawtooth saddle (with a narrow twist made – just got it 3 weeks ago, $4000), but I had huge trouble on this new, fat mutton withered cutting/roping horse. I was so upset, new saddle (that fits me finally as close to perfect as God is able to a cripple), but it didn’t fit my new calm horse, & was rolling side to side.

I have a corrector pad from way back, I put it under my new saddle, & it works (basically it seems to give a non-withered horse, withers). & it sits just where it does on a horse with withers & does not roll. This is hard to explain, but it’s a tough plastic like football shoulder pads, with some thin felt over it.

The corrector is rather thin (1/4 inch), so I am not going to be roping some 1000# steers until this horse loses weight. Then I will add a western ½ inch felt pad, & we will see.

Before I remembered about the Corrector, I went to a local saddlemaker regarding this. He said “God could not make a saddle to fit a person with a severe arthritic hip who needs a narrow twist & wants to ride a wide low withered horse”. I was sick (horse was $12,000).

So, anyway, the point of this story, is if you have this same problem, the Corrector might help you.

Sincerely,

Gloria