Re: [RC] Working the offside ("good") of the high/low or clubbedhorse--how/what? - bluwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Beth,

I had a gelding who did a little endurance and more CTR with ECTRA. As a foal, he had a horrific injury to his shoulder (ran thru a board fence). That foot was clubbed and that side of his body atrophied when I got him as a 9 yo.

We trimmed each foot as best possible to it's conformation (ie kept the dish out of the RF). Despite that, P3's tip did remodel with the work of miles on Rocket. He ultimately retired at age 17 to teach little kids to ride. :-)

To build that side, we did stretches from the ground in both ways - head to his side for a carrot. We stretched his front leg forward , then to the rear to get full extension to try to release some of the scar tissue. When we rode, I posted on that side 2X as much as the other side (Down when the affected side's leg came back.)

I paid great attention to the diagonals as he would bounce me onto his stronger side if I didn't. We also spent more time doing spiral in & out to help him loosen up and stretch. I had to pay attention to cantering on that lead - he didn't like to stretch out that leg as a leading leg. (Was never sure if it was pain in the foot as P3 remodeled or if it was the weaker side or just stiff & tight).

I used an Orthoflex Express Lite on him with shimming for that underdeveloped side and slowly removed shims as he developed. When I put him in a more rigid saddle, he atrophied again - uncertain why. We stayed with what worked & did 1000's of miles in the OF.

After 3 years of goofing off with the little ones learning on him, that side is atrophying again. It seemed to take constant work to keep him even.

Linda Flemmer

Quoting Beth Leggieri <trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx>:

Several have mentioned the necessity of working that off-shoulder of the horses under discussion to build it up (clubbed or high/low). It would be helpful to others to have more specific information on the exercises that are used, length of repetitions, how often the round pen or arena work is done, etc. i.e. Details!