Re: [RC] switching to bit - Don Huston

Hello Marlene,
All of my horses have been green when I got them. I put grazing bits on all of them and only had the usual initial minor bitting-up problems which cleared up in a short time. This link shows my favorite bit, I have 2 and they are the only ones I use now. I have tried bitless many times and still use it now and then but I am always nervous about stopping a run-away. There are several places where I have 2 miles of rolling trail with good footing that I run the horse flat out and bitless just scares the crap out of me cause at that speed I cannot get my feet ahead enough for leverage to pull hard enough to really stop the horse. He will stop but only if he wants to so we ride for 2 hours fairly hard before running flat out bitless. Using the grazing bit I can stop (at least up until today) anytime. Good luck with your new guy.
http://www.rods.com/p/502,233_Sweet-Iron-Grazing-Bit.html
Don Huston <donhuston@xxxxxxx>