[RC] Endurance and South African Politics - Steph Teeter

Hi Michele - I'm forwarding your message to Ridecamp, the Endurance
discussion group. I've also included a link to a website on South Africa
History- which is quite interesting! I was very aware of the racial
'tension' while in South Africa - less so in Nambia where apartheid was
abolished 30 years ago -but still apparent. Throughout the world the legacy
of imperialism and colonialism has left it's mark  - our own history of
slavery and displacement of native people is not pretty... and we (USA)
still have our share of racial tension.

It seems to me that the sport of Endurance, with it's International reach,
and it's purity - it's a race by god - and relative lack of politics, is in
a unique position, an opportunity to bridge some of the racial and political
tensions that penetrate our societies. At the World Championship in Aachen -
there were riders from the Middle East, riders from Russia, riders from
Europe, from the tropics, from Africa... one of the riders from Malaysia was
actually a groom, who in his homeland had a fairly low social status but in
Aachen was privy to the highest social status - a rider - and was given the
premium accomodations by the Organizing Committee. One of the South African
riders was a colored - son of a Xhosa Bushmen mother - a worker on one of
the farms who because of his talent and horsemanship was now a celebrated
sportsman (both in Aachen and at home).

Certainly we have a long way to go, but I find it very moving (this is
probably what keeps drawing me around the world) to see this 'coming
together' of so many different nations and societies - in a common venue, a
common sport. And the thing that differentiates this sport from so many
other International sports, is our total and absolute dependence on another
creature, the horse. Politics stop when the ride starts. Then it's about
horsemanship, training and preparation, strategy, and ability. And a little
bit of luck just to keep us humble!

Here's a link to a history of South Africa - very interesting reading.

http://www.safrica.info/ess_info/sa_glance/history/history.htm

Michele's post:>>

Hi Steph-I'm a newbie to endurance-this is my 1st year and I've only done
LD's on my grade quarter horse so far. My 1st ride at your place this
spring. I had a great time and appreciated your hospitality. Sorry I'm going
to miss the multi-day ride this month-by youngest daughter is having her
wedding on Sept 30. But it will be a great celebration.

I rode in the Owyhee's with Karen Steenhof the past 2 Saturday's and she
told me you recently returned from So Africa.  Having visited So Africa for
a month long study tour in 1995 accompanying a group of Whitworth College
students, I read your blog w/interest.

Would you be willing to consider a couple of comments from me?  I admire all
you do and I hope you don't mind hearing my point of view.  It's obvious
that you had an Afrikaans (a white) tour guide, and naturally got the
Afrikaners point of view. I am not an expert on So African politics or
history, but I do have a couple of first hand observations from my trip to
So Africa in 1995, from an American academic point of view.

You wrote>   "a smooth drive out of the city, past rows of shanty towns -
truly nothing more than boxes and shacks where many of the blacks live.
Apparently the government brought in thousands of impoverished blacks from
neighboring countries in decades past to boost the population for a
favorable vote (politics) - and now these people are still poor and
disenfranchised and are voting against the government. (politics)."

In 1995, prior to the 1st ever free election in So Africa-there were
hundreds of thousands of black people living in townships and shanty towns.
The largest shanty towns were just out side of Cape Town and Johannesburg.
Those blacks who inhabited these slums were displaced, native South
African's, who had been relegated to "townships" by the British and the
Dutch "settler's (invaders?) a concept similar to the reservations that the
predominately white European descent settlers in the U.S. relegated the
subjugated native American population.  After Apartheid officially ended,
the blacks from impoverished townships migrated to the cities in hopes of
jobs, that weren't a reality. Then they stayed in the shanty towns without
means to return to their townships-where there was nothing anyway. These
slums outside the cities could be compared to the "Hoovervilles" of the
1930's Dust Bowl days in the U.S. (remember "Grapes of Wrath")  except on a
much larger scale, with lines drawn racially.  These people were definitely
NOT "brought in" by the white government who were in power before 1995 and
that had ruled So Africa for hundreds of years prior to Mandela's election
in the country's 1st ever free election, where the blacks were finally
allowed to vote. That explanation of the shanty towns simply defies logic.

Remember the U.S. put considerable economic pressure on So. Africa to end
Apartheid by refusing to trade with them until it ended.  When I was there,
trade was only barely beginning to open up, even the very wealthy whites
didn't have modern appliances, as the Western world was not trading with
them.  But who needs an electric washing machine, when you have a black or
'colored' maid who will do your wash for pennies? Eventually though the
technology of the modern world, who was turning a blind eye to So. Africa,
was tantalizing to enough people to want change.

You wrote: "the ANC- that wants control and racial dominance, but doesn't
quite grasp the need for economic stability and productivity that was the
white - Afrikaans legacy."

The Afrikaans legacy of economic stability and productivity was for the
whites only, built on the backs of the native people.  If your perspective
of economic stability is for the whites, less than 10% of the So African
population, then there was plenty.

I have a box of slides and journal entries to remember what So Africa was
like prior to the ANC.  I would be happy to share them with you someday, if
you are interested.  I do know So Africa is one of the most beautiful
countries in the world.  It's a place I would love to return to one day. I
wish I had more expertise to offer you in the history and politics of this
amazing place.  I have only a bit of information and my experience.
~Michele

Michele Unsworth
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
(208)562-0503
(208)861-1762 cell