[RC] WEC Kuala Terengganu,Malaysia 2008 - Nik Isahak Abdullah

Friends ,

I read with interest Jennifer Nice's article on the above and am not surprised Art Priese et al in the AERC Committee have some degree of apprehension at doing a 160 km at WEClevel of competitiveness in hot and humid Malaysia .
This reminded me for several years now that I have been 'barking' at FEI for insisting on a uniform Co C to be applied to countries like us and part of the resistance against such special treatment come not the least from countries comprising from the socalled Toulouse Group .And now they are agrreeing with me finally that endurance in the tropics can be tough and some are now surprisingly clamouring for a change of venue .
In Stephanie's own words ,it is certainly 'dowable' .Steph should know .She has been here last year and the year before last.Certainly not at the neck breaking speed that you guys do at the 'race track' in Dubai or Abu Dhabi .You have to exercise more wisdom and experience in this technical rides in Malaysia and I am very sure you Americans have plenty of that.Flatness ,the track we chose will be flat can be very tempting but do not estimate the degree of difficulty.Peter Toft my friend from Down Under is right ,if on a proper hot day you guys go like Formulla One ,the whole place will be littered with dead horses .But why be stupid ,those going at that speed will be cooked early on in the 1st 2 phases .Endurance is not just about speed > .In fact WEC 2008 could well be the clarion call for USA to come back into World Contention again after an absence of almost a decade.I would love to yet again ride with Valerie Kanavy as I did way back in the Dubai WEC 1998 .2008 could well be her year!

Dr Nik Isahak Wan Abdullah

Find just what you are after with the more precise, more powerful new MSN Search. http://search.msn.com.my/ Try it now.