Re: [RC] OT--clinton anderson question - Diane Trefethen

As I read your post, your question suggested another one to me. I don't think the horse understands that when you ask him to turn, you MEAN his whole body and not just his head. I suspect that your friend has done an excellent job of teaching the horse to move its HEAD (or some one specific part of his body) in response to commands so that is exactly what he does. If that is the case, you need to basically say yes, I know we told you pressure on the reins meant move your head but I was mistaken. Here is what it really means.

Have your friend on the horse and you with a lead rope. Walk the horse forward and have your friend cue the horse to turn left. As she does, lead the horse in a left turn. Have your friend pat the horse and reward him with sweet words. Repeat to the right. After about 5 minutes of turns, the horse should begin to anticipate turning based on the cues. Drop back till you are at his shoulder. After a few more minutes of turns with you behind his head, unhitch the lead rope and continue the exercise for a few more turns. Then step away and let your friend ride him forward and turn.

Consider - if you teach a 2 yr old kid to look left when you point left, how, without using words, would you retrain him to WALK left when you point left? :)

This horse is very green, so that's part of it. He yields very well to the
bit: ie: he puts  his head on your knee when you put pressure on the knee.
But the horse doesn't actually steer.