Re: [RC] cancer in horses. what do you know about it? - Dyane Smith

i may have a horse that has some type of cancer. what do you guys know about cancer. is it treatable? will the horse be able to continue in the same manner? is it debilitating? is it more common in certain breeds or colors or bloodlines? just tell me all that you guys know. thanks so much.

Melinda, go to one of the vet schools and have him examined by a veterinary oncologist.  Some cancers are certainly treatable, although you may have to decide whether the treatment, especially if it involves surgery, is the best way to go.  But, having been down that road, I wouldn't panic until you know all there is to know.  I had one horse we thought might have cancer of the penis.  He and I are seriously glad we dodged that bullet.

Good luck.

Dyane