[RC] EPM Horses - mkrumlaw

I live in Ohio and in our neck of the woods EMP is a little more of a concern.  I'm NOT a vet, but I've helped care for several horses in our area with EPM and just thought I'd share what I've been told.

Most horses have been exposed to EPM so when doing a blood test the results will be positive for most horses. EPM becomes a problem in horses who have a weakened immune system and can't fight off the protozoa.

It's a progressive illness that starts at the front of the horse and works it's way back.  Stiff neck, balance issues on the front end are first signs.  As it progresses it eventually works back to the hind quarters and the whole horse gets involved.  Because it is progressive the best chances for a full recovery involve treatment as soon as the horse is diagnosed.  The longer you wait the more risk of permanent damage to the nerves in the spine.  Horses are effected to varying degrees.  Some horses have died and/or had to be put down while many others have had full recoveries.

Many of the horses in our area are treated for EMP if they are suspected of having the disease.  I think most people feel the cost and timeliness of the treatment out weight the expense of further tests and diagnostic expenses.  I've worked with two horses who have had to go through the treatment regime twice.  One in six months and the other two years later.  Both horses are currently and successfully competing in eventing.

MKS