[RC] re: help with trail shy gelding - Mary Ann Spencer

You don't 'do some Parelli'. You either do it or don't do it.  It is not an overnight success story.  It takes time.  Some never really stop.  The ones that are predictable are easier to work with.  The ones that are NOT predictable are a real hassle.  Had one of the latter who spooked during a ride.  She was at full gallop that I was not able to slow down, or at least not with the bit I was using....... well she spooked and jumped sideways.  I landed hard enough on hard packe dirt road and cracked my helmet-damn helmet cost $55!!!  She went into the camp and had a walk!!! We finished the 50 miles.  She had become so competitive during  a ride that she was hard to control.  Yet kids could ride her in an arena.   When problems arise you go back to the basics and review and then advance after the basics have been reviewed.   Sometimes setting things up for what is the spooking thing can help.

Again, you either do Parelli or you don't!!!!  If you do it, it will make a big difference!!  Get the whole program and you will be safer and feel more confident.