[RC] sponging (was vent and question on leash/bag) - Jonni

Marta posted: >>>i just wanted to say, that it appears my expectations with
re to the length of the leash were different than the norm since i don't
unclip the leash to dunk the sponge.<<<

There are lot's of horses out there that are well broke to sponges being
tossed off of them, in to all types of water. Hitting puddles at a gallop
can be sport for some riders in the SE. I know that lot's of people do leave
one end of the sponge lease clipped on the saddle, so in case they
accidentally let go, they can grab the lease and retrieve the sponge, as it
is still attached to the horse. But, this is a word of caution, especially
to the newbies on the list. Make sure your horse is VERY well broke to
tolerate everything from the "lease" getting wrapped around a leg, to just
the visual of the sponge being pulled back up towards the rider.  There was
a rider who tossed her sponge off a horse who was very broke, had done lots
of miles, but she made an error and tossed it upstream, and the sponge
floated down, under the horse, and then things got ugly when the horse
spooked. She got bucked off, and ended up getting a helicopter ride out.

I have spent hours getting Hank used to a sponge. Starting with swinging it
around him on the ground, dragging it past him, then progressing to dangling
it off of him quietly, letting him see it. One day we were doing well with
just a dangle off his right side, so I went to the left side. He saw it out
of the corner of his eye and kicked forward and nailed it. It was out about
arms length away from my foot. Work both sides!

Rockhe could care less, and is one I could attach it to the saddle if I
wanted, but I've just become extra cautious, and have it set up that it is
unattached to use. I never use it in puddles on the go like Angie does.
Mostly ponds and troughs as the horse is drinking.

Also, we don't ever rub the horse with the sponge. Just squeeze it over
them. That way it does not get fly spray, hair and sweat and dirt in it, and
can be dunked in drinking troughs.

I made a leash for mine out of a curly phone cord. Does not take a very long
piece. I used little copper "crimp splice caps" found in the electrical
department of Home Depot. Cut to the length I need. (stretch it out for full
length) and then slip end through the splice, make a loop, run end back
through splice, and hammer flat. With the loop at each end, you can attach a
snap, or place on sponge with a strap of some sort. The coils will not help
bounce it back up to you, but it is much less of a leash hanging down off
the horse than some of the biothane sponge leashes, dog leashes or string
used. And cheap. I got the phone cord at a dollar store, or you might have
an old one around.

Jonni