[RC] cranky mare - eating - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
Hi Jonni,
Oh, I agree with you - I think I had in parenthesis after my comment on not being into food that this was something additional for me to evaluate because it most definitely would be an important factor.

At this point I'm not totally sure how best to evaluate this.  The mare was on pasture for most of her life and never had another horse to compete with for food.  So she hasn't had a reason to worry about where her next bite is coming from.  In the last 2 months, since her current owners bought her, she's had a lot of upheaval in her life.  It does take her all day to eat her hay ration and while she's mostly gone from a life of leisure to consistent riding, her weight is perfect with nothing but hay.  I've introduced her to beet pulp and Strategy, not cuz she needs it, just cuz that's what I feed my guys.  She's gotten very excited to see her beet pulp mix coming, so I see this as a good sign.  And she does always eat everything in front of her, it just takes a while.  Keeping in mind that she's never had her teeth done, I'm not yet worried that eating is going to be an issue, but still not quite sure how to "test" this!  I think I'm just going to get the vet out for the teeth and not wait for the owners since I have 2 others to do anyhow.  I'd love her to end up going bitless, but I'd prefer a bit at least at the beginning.

Further update, I put her in the pasture next to one of my dopy geldings that likes every horse and another cranky mare that squeals at every horse.  Abby and the dope are now best buddies.  They run the fence together and I could easily put them together without worrying.  The two mares squeal and strike at each other, but it's more posturing than agression.  I think tomorrow we'll test with them all 3 together.

Another note, this horse didn't steer at all!  Even with a sidepull she sets her neck against the pressure - walked straight into a fence to avoid turning.  I spend about 45 minutes in the round pen and can now steer her with the teeniest twitch of the reins and leg and seat pressure, still working on bending though.  And she stands stock still for me to mount.  Very sensitive horse - just waiting to find out that she could relax and enjoy life!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com