Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Slaughter Exemption is NOT Good News - Jessica Spoone-Raines

The only issue I have ever had with horse slaughter is the horror stories I have heard about their transportation, living conditions and of course the way they are killed. My information is all stuff that I found out on the internet, whether its all true or not I don't know. As much as I love horses and think they are beautiful, intelligent, loving animals, they are still animals. If a country in the world decided to begin riding cows does that make it bad for us to eat them? No, that is our perogative. I think instead of stopping horse slaughter they need to (and they might be or have already done) instead change the conditions that these animals face while going to and through slaughter. With the surplus of equines found in the US, ending slaughter would make their lives a little longer but so much worse. Would you rather be locked in a pen to slowly starve to death while dealing with the elements, injuries, sicknesses and whatever else comes your way or have somebody humanely end your life and suffering?
Jess Spoone-Raines

From: "Smith, Dave" <dsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Horse Slaughter Exemption is NOT Good News
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 07:09:42 -0700

Julie, Heidi - I can't agree with you more.  If passed, this law would
have the unintended consequence of causing even more equine misery
nationwide than currently exists.  Under current law, the few U.S.

rendering plants now used for horse slaughter are required to painlessly
kill the horses brought to them.