[RC] Sluggish horse part III - Claire Nystrom

The thyroid tests came back on my mare and she actually has a slightly
high level of thyroid hormone and her insulin and glucose levels are
normal.  I am still waiting for the Lyme disease test results.  I am
just not able to ride her hard enough to keep the extra pounds off
because of her exercise intolerance and breathing problems.  It is
looking more and more that allergies are causing her breathing
problems as it is a yearly, seasonal problem.  Once we figure out if
she needs to be treated for Lyme or not, I'm going to get allergy
testing done and then try allergy shots.  My vet told me that it is
especially concerning that she does have breathing troubles under the
age of 10 (she's a 9 yo. mustang/tb cross and has had problems since
age 7), as these horses are usually unrideable by the time they hit 15
or 20.  I am just hoping that the allergy shots are effective for her
and solve the problem (apparently, horses are immunologically
different than humans and they have a lower success rate than for
people even though they can work).  I am fairly upset about the whole
thing as I might have to think about finding a new home for her with a
new job that might be better suited to her physical capabilities.  I
can only afford to have one horse and really, really want to be able
to do more than what my mare is capable of.  I got her out of a field
as an unhandled 5 yo. and have put tons of training into her.  She's
always had 24/7 turnout so has not lived a lifestyle conducive to
developing these problems at such a young age.  She was totally fine
till age 7 and then the breathing problems started.  I was just
wondering if anyone else had ever tried allergy shots with their horse
and if it worked?  I've been trying to do research on it on-line and
haven't found very much helpful information.

Thanks,
Carol

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in