RE: [RC] Response to the [RC] WEG- the USA team - heidi

Very perceptive question.  And yes, I know of top horse/rider teams who are NOT entering the selection process--but it isn't always time and money that is stopping them.  In some cases it's the politics.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but it seems to me that if AERC took a more active role (ok, Bob, a LEADERSHIP role) we might be able to get the personalities out of it at least to some extent.  But right now, there are definitely top contenders who are getting the cold shoulder and who just don't think it is worth the personal hassle to go through the process.

Additionally, the fiasco at the previous WEC where the "management" of the squad insisted on changing everything from e-lytes to shoeing is keeping a lot of top contenders out of the process.  They know their horses, they know what works for their horses, and they care enough about their horses not to subject them to the one-size-fits-all thinking that has infected our FEI "management" in recent events.  This has represented a big change from as late as 1998--I know riders had far more "say" about what happened to their horses in Dubai that year, and the result was that we came within 7 miles of finishing all 6 of our squad, our one pull was definitely in the "sh*t happens" category (horse looked great and was running in the top 20, and had an abrasion/laceration that caused a slight offness), we put one horse in the Top Ten, and we came home with a silver medal.  (We were in the running for the gold had we not had the one pull.)  The riders who GET to that level need to have more input into the management of their horses--it isn't something that strangers can do, no matter how "experienced" they may be.  (It will be interesting to see how the riders perceived this aspect in Aachen...)

Heidi

Are you personally aware of any high quality rider/horse teams that refrain from entering the selection process primarily because of time and/or money constraints?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=