[RC] Clinic Report From A Rank Newbie - Robert R

I had the opportunity yesterday to go to a clinic on CTR.  As someone who has absolutely no experience in much of anything outside the showpen and working horses in harness, I must say that I was astonished at how little of my "equitation" skills for proper riding in the ring are transferrable to proper riding on the trail.  I was also more than a little embarrassed at how little of my equitation skills which aren't half bad if I do say so myself are present when the ground isn't level and my horse is trying to step around rocks!!

Anyway, mostly as a shameless plug for Miss Karen and her region 6 clinic and as a thank you to all the volunteers that were there, I wanted to let everyone know (and especially other beginner lurkers out there) that it was money well spent.  I had know idea what to expect before arriving but can honestly say that all of my expectations were exceeded.  I learned I have a whole lot more to learn but that it will be an enjoyable journey with helpful and friendly folks.  I also learned there is no correlation whatsoever between miles on the road and miles on the trail except that a fit horse who is already accustomed to lots of fast paced miles on the smooth and obstacle free roads can make up 35 minutes of lost time on a section that should have only taken 5 minutes when there is a sizeable, flat and simple section in the middle of a trail without killing his P/R numbers.

I had a blast, I am indebted far more than the measley 50 bucks and not so measley 500 miles on the road but it was worth every penny and minute.  Thank you Karen.  Thank you volunteers.  Thank you Takoda.

BTW, if I had a tape recorder, I would have finally had undisputable proof that people from Kansas talk funny, as everyone from Missouri already knows.

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net using SpamViper