RE: [RC] Old horse - impaction - Chris Paus

Thanks for the explanation. It's still sad. I'd have a hard time paying for horse hospitalization myself.

I hope starting to eat some grass well help get the gut going. I can't imagine not feeding him anything! But I'm not a vet.

chris

Rae Callaway <tallcarabians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I want to clarify something.  This horse is old.  The owner is a child and the family consists of 5 other children and they are not rich.  The father refused the hospital because of the cost.  The vet is the one who prescribed the no eating until he pooped and she?s been by every day to check on him.  The vet is the one who says there is nothing more she can do at my place and we?re all in agreement that the horse has to start getting some food again.  He?s still alert and seemingly pain free.  Putting him on grass instead of hay and grain is my choice at this point because I?m thinking that it?s good fiber and also moist and won?t cause as much dry impaction to add to the impaction he?s already got.  We?re all (owners and vet) watching him closely and we know the decision to put him down may be coming soon.   He?s been wandering all over the yard today, so he?s getting some exercise, so hopefully that will help.  I?m starting to feel cautiously optimistic ? one of my dogs came up to me a bit ago with some stinky black gunk on her.  I?m hoping maybe he pooped some and she rolled in it and there is a tiny bit of dried poop on his butt.

Chris Paus