[RC] CTR Boots Rules - Marcia Nelson

I ride with NATRC North American Trail Ride conference, an active CTR group that rides all over the U.S. The rules allow easy boots because they are below the coronet bands but not epics or bares because they are above the coronet band. It is relatively new that the boots are finally allowed at all. And as of this time only the standard Easy Boot is allowed. If you ride for Distance Only and not for points and placement, than anything is allowed.

I've been communicating with board members to discuss this whole boot issue because while I understand the purpose of the rules as clearly explained in the previous post, it certainly isn't any more 'natural' to nail a metal shoe to the bottom of a hoof than to put on an Epic or Easy Boot Bare. I'm in favor of allowing any kind of boot if a person chooses to have their horses not wear an artificial metal shoe on the bottom of their horses feet. Why not let the horse wear boots that aren't going to fall off on the trail rather than be stuck with using only the basic boots that often don't hold up to mud, muck and river crossings.

Basically whether a horse wears a boot or a metal shoe, neither one is natural. They are both designed to help a horse handle rocks and rough terrain. It's just that one is nailed on and one is velcroed on.
Marcia