[RC] CTR and endurance - CTR boots rules - Deanna German

Let's see if I can explain it.

CTR is a fitness, horsemanship and riding skills contest. Injuries to the legs and coronet band are seen as a failure of that. Fatigue can cause injury through tripping, interference and running into things. Answer: bring a fit horse that can use itself properly. Horsemanship comes into play through proper hoof care and through watching the footing while on trail. Horses with proper hoof angles and hoof protection tend to not get injuries as much (horsemanship again). Riding skills come into play through balanced riding and riding the horse so that it can carry itself without flailing around.

So conformation has something to do with it, but the owner of a poorly conformed horse can do a lot through proper horsemanship, riding skills and conditioning to prevent leg and coronet band injuries. *Something* other than good conformation kept my horse from injury! >ggg< And a rider with poor horsemanship, riding skills and an unfit horse (or only one of the above) can end up with leg and coronet band injuries.

CTRs have a maximum speed of 7 mph, so we're not talking endurance speeds here. Plenty of time to watch the footing. Also, unlike endurance, horses go out in increments, so they don't get that rushy, rushy, "I have to keep up with the herd even if I can't find my feet" thing going. I know plenty of riders who don't boot for CTR but who do for endurance.

In CTR, points are deducted for what are called "trail lesions" and if there is any pain, heat or swelling in the legs whether or not it's due to superficial injuries. I think it's fair and a good measure. At least one CTR organization (UMECRA) allows boots -- they just take the points off as if the horse was injured in the areas the boots cover. My CTR organization, Ohio Arabian and All-breed Trail Society (OAATS) allows them for miles only. (The horse is ineligible for placing.)

CTR is its own sport as someone else said. Some horses and riders are suited to it, some aren't. I found that it was a great place to learn how to take care of my horse in all sorts of weather conditions and over all sorts of terrain. It's a great way to introduce a young or green horse to distance riding since the vibe in camp isn't as frantic.

:-)

Deanna