[RC] Namibia - quick update - Stephanie Teeter

Sitting in the little reception room, dark outside - and windy and chilly - the
TV is blaring from the back room, music and talk show. I guess I'm a little
homesick tonight... Just a few minutes to type and then I'll be picked up to go
to 'the function' . I think this is sort of like ride meeting, dinner, etc.
Tomorrow the horses vet in. Today they inspected the horses to pick the senior
and junior teams for the Championship (Namibia, Botswana, South Africa).
Serious stuff, reminds me of USEF!  The ride is both the Namibian National
Championship ride and the African Championship (continental championship event
- like our PanAms or North Americans). It's a big deal event, and by combining
the two, they can better afford to put on the rides (FEI rides are very
expensive - they have to bring in foreign vets and judges, etc) and it can also
give the ride a little more oomph and promotion.

We drove the trail today- that was great fun! It's really really desert here. I
can't send any photos for now (this computer won't take my USB device to
transfer photos - plus the link is pretty slow, might not be able to send much
anyway). So I'll have to just keep writing, and do photos later. Everybody
piled into and onto the LandCruisers and headed for the trail. Over to Dune 7,
past the place where Hollywood has set up camp, building a little 'town' and
filming the 10,000 BC movie - supposed to be a blockbuster type film. Speaking
of films - the stable that they are using for the ride camp was built for
another Hollywood movie "Flight of the Phoenix"  with Dennis Quaid. Supposedly
Wesley Snipes is here too, filming some other movie. Wow - Namibia is on the
map - partially thanks to Angelina and Brad I think! The locals talk about her
all the time.

Anyway - the trail - looked an awful lot like Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Egypt - sandy -
beautiful flowing dunes, scrubby gravelly sand flats, washes, a 'river bed'
that looked like a moonscape in places - very desolate, a few plants hanging on
to life. A vine with roots that go down 50 meters, bringing water to the fruits
that the thorny bush produces. Lifeline of the bush people in the past. The
Namib desert is the 'oldest desert in the world' - I'm not geologist and don't
quite know what that means, but it is something they are very proud of! Water
is precious here, very precious. Walvis Bay (2nd largest city in Namibia -
80,000 people at most) gets its water from the Kousk (sp!) river - which is
entirely underground except in extremely wet conditions - but has a good clean
water supply from the mountains. But water is precious and people don't waste
it.

Deep deep sand - this is going to be a very challenging trail - more deep sand
and dunes than any other ride I've seen. These horses have to be tough. I've
seen some fantastic horses so far - the Namibia market is still wide open, no
foreign buyers yet. South Africa has already seen sales boom from sales to the
middle east market after the export laws were softened. There are lots of
breeders of Arabians here - both halter and endurance - they are hoping that at
some point their horses will be noticed as well.

The people are wonderful here - friendly, gregarious, animated - it's a close
knit group, children and teens that ride together, play together, parents that
ride together - and work together to keep building the sport. They've done a
bit of travelling - having riders in Aachen, as well as Dubai 2005. They sent
young riders to Bahrain last year for the WEC for Young Riders. They've had
riders at Presidents Cup - they are ambitious, and eager for more International
participation. Since they can't send horses overseas to compete without 3+
months of quarantine, and great expense, they have to rely on horses from other
countries to supply their riders with competition mounts. And they are all
(Nambia and South Africa) hoping to build a network of ride exchanges - bring
riders here to ride the local horses, and in return send their riders abroad. A
wonderful idea - we talked quite a bit last night (over several bottles of fine
South African red wine :) about how to build this network -
it's a great opportunity for people to ride International without the expense,
restrictions, hassle, etc of doing FEI Championships. And such wonderful
International flavor too - to get closer to each other's customs, build new
friendships, etc.

better send this while I can - more later

Steph