[RC] Crossing the border with horses - k s swigart

Jackie Floyd said:

8pm...SAME DAY coming back to the US... they are again asked
for papers....they hand them over..... the border patrol tells them
that all of their papers are fine, except...that the 30 day health
certificate..... that was drawn on July 28.....(should be good until
August 28th) is expired......

What.?? the border patrol tells them that since July had 31
days....that it expired...

What surprises me is that they got through with the expired papers on the way
out.  I have always assumed that 30 days meant 30 days (and if they had meant
they were good for a month, they would have said a month).  So, if _I_ had
papers that were drawn on July 28 I would assume that the 30 days expired on 26
August (the day they are issued counts as a day) and that they were no longer
valid on the 27th.

Probably the ex-banker in me who understands that 30 days and one month are not
the same thing.  But look on the bright side.  It means that your health papers
that are drawn in February are good for more than a month.

Personally, I wouldn't travel to Canada (i.e. out of the country) with papers
that would be expired only one day after I plan to return, especially if that
day is a Sunday.  I have been on too many horse excursions where something has
gone wrong (like truck or trailer problems, that generally can't be fixed at
8pm on Sunday) that have delayed my travels by a day or two, such that I
wouldn't want to be cutting it that close, unless I knew that I was going to be
someplace where getting updated papers if I had to wouldn't be a major problem
(I have gotten new health papers AT an endurance ride from the ride vet).

So, if I were giving a recommendation, it wouldn't just be to suggest the
people learn to count to 30 :), but also that, especially for a trip out of the
country, have papers that are good for at least three or four days after your
planned travel date, or have a back up plan for updating them in the event that
something happens.  Dinking around with finding a way to get new health papers
while you are having to deal with finding emergency accommodations for your
horses and somebody to fix your truck is not my idea of fun.

kat
Orange County, Calif.