Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:18 PM
Subject: [RC] advice on Twh?

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some training suggestions on how to solve a problem with a new horse?

He's a 5 year old, and I'm riding him with a straight kimberwick bit, and walking horse saddle, (doesn't appear to be problems there).

The problem is when he's asked to stop or be held back riding in the woods he wants to bounce up on the front end or bow up and give me a little bit of a hump with it as well.

We've had him for just a month, so we're still trying to figure out any gliches, but the biggest one was last week, brush poppin', and we went into itch weeds, we were getting ready to cross a dry branch that was an immediate down-up scenario, (my thinking he would just attempt to jump up the bank) instead, I got an out of no where, half rear, launch off the haunches to or three times before he headed up a bank, and I ended up in tree branches off the back, (was not anywhere to circle between banks up till the launch).  When I went to get back on, he was going to start it again, so I just lead out till we were clear of itch weeds.   But main point is now, I think when held back or in a situation, that's what he does.

Any suggestions on this, or is it just going to be a handle it as it arrives?  I've always been a little leary of a horse wanting to come off the front end.

Thanks ahead!
Lori