[RC] Thinking Outside the Box - kimfuess

You know there are a lot of options that could be done within the framework of endurance riding that do not require AERC or FEI sanctioning or approval.  It just takes some creativity, time, and energy to try different things.

The team idea is a great concept that has been around for years.  20 MT has had a team competition within their AERC ride for as long as I can remember.

There used to be a number of triathlons and biathlons that used horses instead of the swimming event.  I don't know why one of these couldn't be held in conjunction with an AERC ride.  RATs have proven successful when held with AERC rides so there is really no reason why another type of event couldn't be.  If 10-15  mile fun rides can be included within the frame work of an AERC ride, I don't know why a 10-15 mile leg of a triathlon/biathlon could not be included.

I really like the French idea of qualifying young horses and moving them up.  I would never want AERC to have this kind of system mandatory BUT I think it would be great if individuals or regional clubs held "testing" events once or twice a year.  They wouldn't have to be AERC or FEI sanctioned.

When I first started endurance there was an Endurance Horse Registry which was based on performance only.  It wasn't affiliated with AERC or any breed organization.  It was a great concept and had year end performance awards.  All the talk about bloodlines, different breeds for endurance, and testing young horses make an endurance horses registry concept a very meaningful idea now.

I think that working creatively within the framework of any large organization like AERC or FEI is a slow, tedious process.  This is mostly because of red tape and having to work within a huge framework of committees etc.  Look how long it is taking just to get a 100 mile program to the table within our own organization.  This is not a criticism just an observation.  I would like to see more individuals come up with creative ideas that will work with AERC endurance but not through AERC.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648