Re: [RC] TWH - Truman Prevatt

Bruce Weary wrote:
The Tennessee Walking horse is an interesting breed and 100% Made in the USA. He is comprised of various breeds, including the extinct Naragansett Pacer, the Canadian Pacer, the Morgan, Standardbred, Thoroughbred, and American Saddlebred. I have owned several, and campaigned them successfully in endurance riding. They can be very tough, have a great work ethic, and are generally very good minded horses, with an affinity for people and children. Some can be trippy, although I am becoming convinced that saddle fit at the shoulder is often the culprit.
Important in the walker development was stock that had a "driving horse conformation" as many of the foundation horses were off the trotting track. In the unique gait of the walker requires a "loose shoulder" with the horse "rolling over the shoulder" as he moves. Many walkers while wide at the shoulder have a fairly steep pitch at the wither. Most saddles do not differentiate between the pitch and width at the shoulder. That is a wide tree comes from a flat tree and a narrow tree comes from a steep pitch. What many walkers need is a wide tree with a steep pitch. It is difficult to find - especially in the inexpensive saddles. An ill fitting saddle I suspect is the single biggest issue with walkers that are not sure footed. Finding the correct saddle for my mare was one of the most difficult challenges I had. That was before RP - who does recognize the subtle difference between pitch and width at the shoulder. I ended up with a custom saddle for her. After I got the saddle made, she was the most sure footed horse I have ever had the pleasure to ride. The other issue I believe is the way they are shod. For some reason many people think walkers need a lot of toe. The toe doesn't help the gait, it makes them trip and puts stress on the tendons.

Although most of us would be too vain to admit it, humans are very much like the horse in that we are "herd oriented." Most of us "follow the crowd" at one time or another, and I'm guessing that the ridiculous treatment of Walkers in the show world is a result of people just unthinkingly doing the same things as their predecessors. Those same folks probably wonder how we dare ride a horse 100 miles in a day, and may view it as torturous.
I suspect there is more truth in that statement than most want to admit.
IMHO, the best way to prevent the soring and other painful measures inflicted on the TWH, is to seek out a good one and bring it home with you.
A nice, long, smooth, spook free ride along the countryside is a wonderful way to enjoy another facet of riding and get your head screwed back on straight for Monday morning.
Amen

Truman

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics