[RC] Swollen fetlock - Marinera

What would cause and what would be the prognosis for a hard lump about the size of a half a hard boiled egg that came on overnight on the outside of a fetlock joint? It is big enough so that I know I could not have missed it the day before.  In other words, it was not a slow developing thing.  While I thought there might be some heat on Monday (the first day) there was none the next day.  The horse is totally sound in very tight circles. It is not painful under a lot of pinching pressure. The ankle flexes nicely with no indication of pain.
I am inclined to think she knocked it on something because it came on so quickly, but it seems as though a bruise that size would be sensitive to pressure.  It is a hard lump so I do not think it is edema. It may be slightly reduced in size since Monday, but not dramatically.
Thanks for any help.   Julie Suhr