Re: [RC] Ground Control - Dyane Smith

Well, it does sound like my farrier and I have a lot of "tinkering" to do.  I think since he doesn't interfere when bare I might try long and truly slow distance with no shoes and an improved trim to see if we can get him past the balance problems before we go back to shoes.

Dyane
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 6:14 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Ground Control

That was my point....your saying the horse doesn't hit when barefoot.  So, adding "some" weight does change his foot flight path.  Weight does change this.  This is why gaited horses are weighted...to enhance the hoof flight...in the direction of the applied weight.  When the flight path is changed, then so are many other things about how the horse moves.  Length of stride, height of stride, etc.  You are correct, the horse needs to have a very balanced hoof in order to move his best.  But, another factor to consider here that we haven't brought up is age.  This is a young horse right?  If so, as he develops his mucsles, he will change some of how he moves too.  In time, he may stop hitting just for this reason.

So, they wear well.  At least they have something going for them. :)

Jody

Karen Standefer <kstandefer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The horse that Dyane is referring to does not interfere when bare.  I had a horse that interfered shod in steel and did it worse with GC?s.  I don?t believe, personally, that you can just attribute interfering to weight.  I believe it depends on the flight pattern, footing, balance of the boney column, bulk and a ton of other stuff, not just weight.