[RC] EZ boots at WEC & upcoming NC - Mary Howell

USA team member Meg Sleeper e-mailed friends back home that towards the end
of the WEC, she decided the weight of the EZ boots was counterproductive to
Troy -- she could feel his shoulders/front end getting fatigued and removed
them.

Meg also explained how she decided to play it safe and go slow in the mud
rather than risk a slip & possible pull. She admitted it was tough to watch
others pass her late in the ride but her decision ensured a completion!
Hurrah!

I appreciated her input because I've been experimenting this summer using EZ
boots over shoes instead of the pads I've used for many years (because my
horse tends to pull shoes when he has pads underneath and his barefeet tend
to get sore with only an EZ boot over them).

Based on Meg's input, I've decided to use EZ boots over shoes the first loop
of the NC this fall, which is almost completely hard gravel road, then pull
and ride in just shoes for 2nd and 3rd loops where the course is dirt trail
and my horse won't be as fresh. If we're still going strong, I'll put boots
back on for that last 1.5 mile dash to the finish down Hickory Lane.

Karen Isaacs rode the whole OD 100 in EZ boots over shoes, but Jeb has
relatively small feet so the combo must have been a bit lighter and worked
well enough for him for weight to not be a concern (plus on the OD the pace
is a lot slower than the WEC!)