[RC] Press Conference with Medalists - John Teeter

(From Steph)
The OC just held a press conference with the three medalists -

Miguel Vila Ubach,
Virginie Atger,
Elodie Le Labourier

some excerpts:

Gold Medalist Miguel: when asked to tell a little about himself and Endurance,
Miguel said "I began riding at age 7, my father encouraged me. In 1999 I won
the European Championship, but never thought I could repeat a ride like that. I
am the trainer and rider of the horse, the owner purchased him in Hungary 2
years ago and we began Endurance Training. (the horse Hungares is Shagya
Arabian). He won two important rides this year, and I knew he was good. I 'lost
my mind' on the last loop and we flew- and we went very fast over bad footing -
he was very strong on the last loop and I thought we had a chance to win. We
were around 14th place mid ride. I was riding with Juima but backed off the
pace because I thought it was too fast, and he took longer to recover at the
vet check, so we slowed down a little. On the last loop we found the French
riders, and I knew that with them he could be in good placing!

When asked to comment on the course, on the difficulty of the ride Miguel
said:"For me the weather was most difficult because I never train when it is
raining!"

Silver Medalist Virginie Atger: My horse is a half Arabian, 8 years old. The
French team was good all day, and we rode together - and moved up gradually. I
think Elodie and I should tie because we rode together and came in together. I
didn't really think about a Medal, but the French team had a good atmosphere.
For me the most difficult part of the day was the mud."

Elodie said she rides a 16 year old Arabian, and she will retire him after this
ride - he has done his best, he deserves to retire.

------

Congratulations!

Steph