[RC] Yet another "newbie" question - J. Reynolds

Can someone link me to the "rules" for an LD ride?  I have a few questions too.

1) On a 25 mile LD (first ride for horse and rider) what is the pace mph expected to finish in time.  Or does it depend on the individual ride?   Just wanting to know the speed to pace my horse for training purposes. At the walk we average just over 4 mph now, at the trot she matches most horses canter, but her trot is very tiring to ride over the long haul.  One of those big old park horse show ring trots...We can do it, but I have to break it up in segments.  Walk awhile, trot awhile.

2) Are the riders at an LD grouped together and competing against the other riders in the group, or are they only competing for completion?  Do all the riders just get a completion or are the ranked by placing?

3) Any tips on getting the horse to relax when being checked over by the vets?  My mare has some trust issues with strangers.  She lets me handle her fine, but not sure how she will be with having her head handled by the vet...ideas? Of course she is a lot more calm after ten miles or so.

4)  Puddin' has done 35 miles per week + since May.  Last week she did almost 50 miles...would you consider she has enough of a conditioning base on her to go to a three day per week conditioning schedule (vs. the five day I have been doing ) now?  I was thinking a couple of fast eight mile rides weekday evenings, and a long slow ride every weekend from now until October?  Don't want to use her up, and she is barefoot so as the long ride mileage increases want to assure I have hoof to keep pace.

Old Puddin' did her first 20 mile training ride yesterday.  All seemed to go well.   All you 50/100 mile riders have my serious respect.  I've worked  hard since spring conditioning this old broodmare who is starting to turn into a trail horse (when the lions and bears aren't waiting to pounce on her in the woods) *LOL*

Thanks for the input and encouragement.

Jacke

 "Good friends are like stars.........You don't always see them, but you know they are always there."