[RC] 2006 WEC - soon! - Steph Teeter

I'm sitting here upstairs on the 4th floor where I can get a good wireless
connection (everybody else is asleep) - waiting for my photos to finish
transferring. I took LOTS of photos today, we (press) were down in the
middle of the opening ceremony gala - great fun. I'm always a sucker for
animals and music (I'll cry at the theme song of Born Free, will cry when
the dolphins jump through hoops in Orlando if there is music playing) and I
had some very emotional moments during these ceremonies! Such maginificent
horses, and to be close enough to smell them and feel their hoofs on the
ground, and see the concentration of the riders - it was really a thrill.

I was able to get photos of almost all of the Federations as they marched
around the field - zillions of photos - so colorful, and everybody was so
happy, so patriotic, so filled with excitement and optimism. waving their
flags, smiling at the cameras, smiling at each other. Switzerland and
Bahrain and Slovakia and Israel and Jamaica... from all around the world,
together, with the horses. And it was SO MUCH FUN to recognize so many faces
as the different countries marched by - so many wonderful friends around the
world - sharing the horses and the sport.

Princess Haya's speech was very moving - she is so calm and poised and seems
like a person we (the regular folks) could like, could relate to. I was
captivated by her - and she touched many hearts with words in her address:
"... we are united across disciplines and nations by our respect for the
human athlete but ultimately it is the horse that brings us together. The
horse, who has no understanding of borders, political differences, class or
languages, cements us in the simple common bond of friendship and unity. I
ask you to broaden that bond by opening your hearts and minds to the stars
of as many disciplines and nations as possible."

The wind is howling outside, maybe the rain clouds will all blow away ...
(maybe not, but it's a nice thought!) Up again in a few hours, to watch the
horses warming up in the dark, snorting and prancing, and make all of our
hearts beat a little faster - and then they're off and the long, hard, dirty
day begins!

I'll try to send photos, updates, etc - keep those flags waving!

-later

Steph