Re: [RC] Arabian Bloodlines - DVeritas

In a message dated 8/18/2006 9:26:03 AM Mountain Standard Time, katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The question is not what original bloodstock were people using, since
their purebred arabians, by definition everybody is using the same
original bloodstock.  The question is what were the selection criteria
for the horses that are only 2 generations back.  Your chances are
better if those selection criteria were for some strenuous athletic
purpose that required consistency and longevity
These are statements with which I wholeheartedly agree.

I have seen programs virtually devastated in the last twenty years because of breeding decisions made which did not pan out...regardless of the percentage of (whatever) blood the breeder deemed integral in "his" type of horse.  All due to breeding decisions being made by people either handed the program through the death of the founders of the program or due to financial decisions.

Sure, the program was "founded" on this or that horse or cross, but, over the years I've seen phenotype change not because genotype was not safeguarded, but because the niche (nick) was not safeguarded.

So, for me, though I still look at female tail line, etc., I don't have to look too far back in a pedigree to determine whether it interests me or not.

Frank Solano