RE: [RC] Arabian bloodlines - heidi

not intending to either ignore quality programs or pretend things done exist
or insult anyone or worry about US breeders trying to educate riders. (stay
on point:)

The issues regarding riders ARE on point, since breeders cannot get
their horses to the forefront WITHOUT riders.

Rather trying to contrast the approaches in play today.

Again, can you list, in your opinion, the top 10 endurance breeding programs
in North America today? it would be a good starting point. and then maybe go
on to list the top 10 in Europe, in South America, in Australia/NZ, in the
GCC -- what are the top 50 organizations producing endurance mounts today?
What is the size of the annual crop from these outfits? how many 5 year olds
do these top 50 start in their careers each year? and yes, what are the
prefered lines of these top global breeders?

First off, don't confuse quantity with quality.  The breeder who
produces 1000 foals and only 10 winners has far less of a quality
program than the one that produces 100 foals and 10 winners.  It would
behoove both riders and breeders to patronize the second breeder in
that comparison.

I've already named five breeders regionally--I'd be happy to look at
programs elsewhere if others would like me to look at stats from
breeders in other parts of the country, but maybe not until I've got
some long winter evenings to do so.

As for lines, the various local variations on Crabbet-plus and pre-WWII
lines predominate pretty much everywhere, from what I can see.  In this
country, the lines that rise to the top in endurance with much more
frequency than they start are CMK, pre-WWII Polish, and various early
desert imports, with a few smatterings of early breeding from other
sources.  In Oz, it's Crabbet/Colonial breeding--much the same thing.
In Europe, Persik is as good an example as any--3/8 Crabbet, 3/8
pre-WWII Polish, and 1/4 pre-WWII French.  The key is the old breeding
before people altered it for "aesthetic" purposes.  And that basic
concept is pretty much in play in top horses world-wide.

Heidi