RE: [RC] Arabian bloodlines - heidi

Also, keep in mind that there are breeders around the world that are now
specifically focused on endurance. Shiek Mohamed bin Rashid al Maktoum being
one of the biggest. Given the French successes, the beauty of the Argintine
animals, and the consistency of the Aussies, the Brazilians, etc etc etc)
it's hard to say who is most successful. These guys run 200+ mares through
their programs and are generally focused just on endurance.

If you REALLY want to talk blood lines, delve down into the lines of the
endurance champions of the past. The Persik lines anyone?
http://www.estanarendurance.com/diamentdurolon/persik.asp

My point - the bloodlines are really being developed now and it's not
happening in the US - so a review of bloodlines for endurance by necessity
needs to be look beyond the US boarders!

There are 160 horses ready to run in Aachen which might provide ample sources
for ridecamp bloodlines discussions!

John, there ARE US breeders focusing on endurance--but it sure does get
frustrating in a country where people are repeatedly told that bloodlines don't
matter and where people don't seem to think that bloodlines are a suitable
topic for an endurance list.  Several of the Tevis winners of the past decade
have come from very deliberate breeding programs--this year's being one of
them.  And I would submit that their ability to win Tevis is a direct testimony
to the fact that their breeders are doing something right.

I do appreciate the link to the site on Persik--his sire Kann was quite a
noteworthy French horse, and he likewise has Crabbet breeding up close.  I'll
take a closer look at his pedigree when I'm not at work.

You ARE right that the French have accepted the fact that breeding is important
(which is something the Americans need to figure out).  Needing to start with
good genetic material is not unique to this country.

On another subject, it is interesting to note that Persik at 153 cm tall is
between 15 and 15.1 hands--although a bit taller than the average for the
breed, he is not an overly tall horse.  So much for the notion that it takes a
tall horse to excel in this sport.

Heidi